Friday, September 11, 2009

A different generation

About two years ago I was working at Sunnyslope High School. I was in a science class when a student in the far back said something about 9/11. The conversation made its way to the front of the room where a student looked at me and asked

"Mrs. Schneider, what is so important about 9/11? I mean, I know its a big deal, but why?"

I stood shocked for a moment. How does this kid not know? Did they live in a hole for the past 6 years? And then it hit me...6years...their 13 now, so that means they were 7. They were in 2nd grade. Their teacher was probably instructed to keep the television turned off so that it wouldn't scare the children. Their parents told them the bare minimum as to not scare them.

How odd is it that there is an entire generation that won't remember where they were that day, or just how important it is to remember the lives lost on that September morning. Just kinda odd I guess.